Sunday, November 15, 2015

Mandarin Chocolate Sherbet (food)

By Baskin-Robbins
????-????

I’ve written before about foods that were no longer made, such as Regal Crown Sours and Screaming Yellow Zonkers.*  Usually, it was because the manufacturer was out of business and the recipe lost.  Mandarin Chocolate Sherbet was made by Baskin-Robbins, which is still in business and presumably knows the recipe.  Yet as far as I can see, it hasn’t been made in years.

It’s a shame.  The flavor has never been seen elsewhere.  It’s a dark chocolate sherbet with just a hint of orange, that you don’t notice until you swallow.  Despite the fact it’s somewhat light – sherbet instead of ice cream – there was a rich, dark chocolate taste that melts on the tongue.

There were many fans.  It was named the best Baskin-Robbins ice cream by Paul Passell and Leonard Ross and it deserves to be.  Yet even though it was discontinued years ago, there was no sign of them being willing to bring it back.

Which is a shame.  There was no other ice cream like it.

____________________________________________
*Both have come back, if only for a short time.  I’d like to think this blog had something to do with it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to work there when it was out and we fondly referred to it as Shit Sherbet. Only a few people actually liked it. We used to have competitions to see how many samples we could get people to try. Most people thought it was disgusting. There was one sweet old lady who loved it though, and I convinced her to buy a whole three-gallon tub of it. She came back a week later for another one. Other than her though, very few people liked it in our area. It appeared to be that way all over the place since they discontinued it shortly after that release in 2000/2001.

Elephant's Child said...

It was delicious. I got it every time I went to B&R. Perhaps people weren't used to the then-uncommon-in-America combination of orange and chocolate. Elephant's

KathleenShimp said...

I loved it. I got it every time I went to the mall.
I love orange and dark chocolate, and always have.
I wonder if the fact that it was sherbet and not ice cream had something to do with it. Perhaps people did not think the texture was right for chocolate?
Whatever.
I think the lower fat content made the dark chocolate seem darker.
If I am in the minority, so be it. It doesn't make me wrong, just unusual! I'm used to that by now.

Thepinch said...

The flavour was very intense and totally unforgettable. It was definitely an adult flavour. I remember standing at the counter alongside another woman and mouthing the words like zombies. One small scoop made your day. It wasn't a particularly calorie intense formula, but you couldn't eat a lot of it. My evil twin wants to believe that the ingredients were too expensive to mass produce.